Link Excel to Bluebeam

• Link Excel to Bluebeam

Posted by Jose Rodriguez on August 31, 2022 at 8:51 pm

I recently acquired Extreme per Troy’s recommendation. I have figured out how to link an Excel file to live update on an existing set of drawings. I am wondering if I can design a hard copy of an excel file and use the same format for different drawings on different projects? I hope I asked the question so it made sense?

Thank you

Doug McLean replied 1 year, 1 month ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • David Cutler

September 1, 2022 at 7:50 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Welcome to the Brainery @joser

If I am understanding your question correctly you are asking that if you create a “standard” spreadsheet can you use it over and over again for new PDF files. While I don’t use quantity link myself, my understanding is that you should be able to save a copy of your Excel file and then update the links to reference your new project’s PDF.

I hope this answers your question.

Dave

• Dennis Massimo

February 26, 2023 at 6:27 pm

Make your spread sheet template and then all you have to do is change the source files to each new drawing/project. Alot of trial and error to get it right. Automated bidding the journey reminds me of Indian Jones chasing the cup of Christ.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      February 26, 2023 at 9:50 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Welcome to the Brainery Dennis. Both your skills and your sense of humor are in the right place my friend. 🤣

• Doug McLean

February 27, 2023 at 3:09 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

In a word, yes.

As has been mentioned, all you’ll need to do is to change your source file and all the links will work.

One thing you may want to learn for future use, is how to unlink the Excel workbook from Revu.

• David Cutler

September 6, 2022 at 1:10 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I hear where you are coming from @Vince

Have you tried using “Edit/Replace” with the .PDF file name in your Excel file?

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    September 6, 2022 at 4:22 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

If it’s working correctly, you should only have to update the source files, not each cell. There are plenty of opportunities for failure, so it might not seam as easy.