Wainscoting Takeoff

• Wainscoting Takeoff

Posted by Doug McLean on May 1, 2023 at 3:28 pm

Curious as to how the best way to go about doing this takeoff.

There is a LOT of this wainscot, and as you can tell from the section, its got a bunch of parts.

Doug McLean replied 11 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Vince French

May 2, 2023 at 12:26 am

I’m not sure how much detail you need to show on your marked up drawings but from my perspective this is ideal for power query.

Assuming the detail remains consistent, one linear measurement on you plan(s) is all you need then the component details can be in a table in Excel.

I’m assuming that there aren’t any stiles because of how the upper and lower rails sit in relation to the actual panel? However, even if there are, then once again this can be added in in the PQ stage.

The linear measurement is also probably better for the main panel as there is that lovely detail again where the height is just over half a sheet of board creating loads of waste!

• Doug McLean

May 2, 2023 at 9:10 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

hmmm…. that could work

• Vince French

May 2, 2023 at 11:05 am

It definitely works – one measurement in Revu is then applied to multiple items in Excel.

• Doug McLean

May 2, 2023 at 11:03 am

That is definitely something to think about and you’ve got my brain working on it.

This job is a HUGE LDS temple and has a lot of repeating parts and good schedules.
      We’re also in line to be bidding 4-6 of these a year, so anything we can do to speed up the process would be awesome

• David Cutler

May 2, 2023 at 12:14 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I like the idea of one linear measurement being used to capture all of the materials. Could you use Spaces to identify the individual rooms and some sort of lookup extracted from the schedule tables to determine what detail should be followed for each space?

Could you give us a snip of a plan view so that we have a better idea of the “big picture”?

• Doug McLean

May 2, 2023 at 1:15 pm

Vince has my brain working overtime on this one.
      I could so use this on all the crown, wainscoting, door trims…. a lot of things. Save the other markups for casework or other things.
      This is a typical elevation. Like I said earlier, there is a good finish schedule (which I could export) and then add a couple of columns too (i.e. crown type). Then I could definitely do some wizardry with PQ on things. Spaces are a must.

Hell, I could even kill two birds with one stone and use Dynamic Fill to do a Space and an Perimeter measurement at the same time

Damn you Vince!!!!… 🤣🤣🤯🤣🤣

• Vince French

May 2, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Sorry @Doug! 🤣

In all seriousness, adding the details in PQ is really simple. You could use that for the doors too – just do a count and then in Excel you can have everything down to the hinges, latches, etc..

And the breakdowns can all automatically work with spaces.

Give me a shout if you want to run through anything.

• Doug McLean

May 4, 2023 at 9:52 am

I did this with the door casings and whatnot.
          Unfortunately, it took me longer to format the data than it did to do the math. Learned a whole bunch along the way though.

Next up, the wainscoting and all the trim

• Vince French

May 5, 2023 at 11:34 am

@Doug I’m not sure how you normally detail all of this in Revu but is it possible to do something like: –

1. In the subject column (or whichever column contains the details) enter the details as follows “Wainscott; Top Rail; Bottom Rail; Panel;” etc in the format that you want.

2. Then in PQ just split the column on every “; “

I’ve done something similar to this on my drainage workflow.

• Doug McLean

May 5, 2023 at 1:38 pm

Insert your own delimiter… that works.

What I meant earlier was about the import of the door schedule. The data was a mess and I probably should have just fixed it in the csv file. A bunch of the columns were offset and I needed to get them all lined up in the right ones.

Once I had that, the rest took me less than 30 minutes

• Doug McLean

May 17, 2023 at 10:52 am

@Vince … I’ve kicked this one up to a 12

Doing this made me learn a few things. I made a few tools using the ; as a delimiter for the Label, then I got to thinking… could I do this for both the Label AND the Subject. Turns out I can.
              I had to learn a couple of new tricks in Power Query, but HOLY COW!!!!.

It even works if I have a different number of delimiters.

Me thinks a video is coming on how this is done.

• Vince French

May 17, 2023 at 2:37 pm

That sounds great @Doug ! I’m assuming there is a bit of “unpivoting other columns” going on in there now?

• Doug McLean

May 17, 2023 at 5:19 pm

nope, but this one will make your 🤯

• David Cutler

May 5, 2023 at 1:01 pm

That’s part of fun @Doug McLean – learning/figuring it out now and then applying it right out of the gate in the future. 😎

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 4, 2023 at 2:46 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

You guys are all awesome, I love reading through the brainstorming process. Whatever answer I would give would not involve PQ, so it feels so basic. 🤣

I think a linear measurement will capture all the horizontal material, and a formula maybe combined with Wall Area would get all the panels and vertical materials.

• Doug McLean

May 4, 2023 at 6:42 pm

We can also get multiple takeoffs from the one markup.

In most of these rooms, I can get both the crown and the wainscoting from a single markup. (normally I would also get the base, but it’s all stone).

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        May 4, 2023 at 7:07 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Thats what I was thinking, there were about six different trim pieces running horizontally in that detail.

• Doug McLean

May 5, 2023 at 9:39 am

It doesn’t really show in section well, but one of those is a panel molding that is about 6′ around each opening.

The LDS church really LOVES this level of finish in their temples. The trick is finding the right installation crew to handle the really high end finish.

• David Cutler

May 5, 2023 at 6:19 am

If you used a single linear measurement of the room perimeter would you need to deduct for doors, or is that just considered waste on the wainscoting?

You could also add crown for over the doors based on a door count, but that might cause you to show needing multiple short lengths were your field crews would rather have single long pieces…

That brings another question – for figuring waste do you need the length of each wall individually, or can you work with one measurement for each space? Getting way into the weeds here!

• Doug McLean

May 5, 2023 at 9:37 am

fortunately all the ceilings here are at 12′ or better, so the crown goes over the top of everything.
          As for the doors in the wainscoting, I made a count tool for the different size doors which I will deduct out of the perimeter.

• Vince French

May 5, 2023 at 2:53 pm

If you measured each wall individually then you could automatically work out how many stiles you needed based on maximum centres being used. This is similar to what I did with the posts in my fencing example. This works especially well if you’ve got some short return walls or something like that.

• Vince French

May 4, 2023 at 11:20 pm

How about a custom line that looks like the panelling (top and bottom rails, etc.) when the markup is applied to the drawings??? 🤣

• Doug McLean

May 5, 2023 at 9:40 am

I don’t want to get that crazy… lol 🤣