Dynamic fill dependent on line width

Tagged: 

• Dynamic fill dependent on line width

Posted by Don Walke on October 28, 2023 at 10:17 am

This is a minor issue for most, I’m sure. While checking some custom column formulas that calculate area and perimeter of an ellipse, I created an ellipse and used dynamic fill to get an area measurement. I then compared that to the formula generated area and dynamic fill area was consistently lower (only slightly) every time. What I found is that dynamic fill fills to the edge of the line, not the centerline of the line and if you increase the line thickness, the dynamic fill area will decrease.

On a side note, I asked ChatGPT to calculate the area and it failed miserably by using the wrong formula. I corrected it by providing the correct formula and it failed again. Then it stopped trying to calculate and just agreed with me. Maybe in a year or two……

Don Walke replied 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    October 28, 2023 at 2:40 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Try disabling your line weights. That will help Dynamic Phil find the correct boarder line.

• Carl Wegman

October 29, 2023 at 7:45 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt UC2 Brainery White Belt Rank

Set line weight to 0 point (zero)?

• David Cutler

October 30, 2023 at 9:34 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

That “Dynamic Phil” guy can be a bit fickle @troy-degroot 😎

@dhwalkellc I noticed this issue a while back and haven’t used it much since. While I haven’t tried it with an ellipse I have experimented with a 10 ft x 10 ft square with various line widths. Each provides a different result – not the 100 sf that you would expect.

When performing takeoff you need to be careful about the line weight of the source document as dynamic fill will always measure to the edge of the line, not the center.

• Carl Wegman

October 29, 2023 at 7:42 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt UC2 Brainery White Belt Rank

Admire your ability to check a formula and compare to Bluebeam quantity vs Chat GPT.

Have you tried MS Copilot?

• Don Walke

November 1, 2023 at 12:18 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

Will take a look, thanks.