Imported markups are rotated – but not entirely

• Imported markups are rotated – but not entirely

Posted by Bob Ritger on August 12, 2022 at 1:37 pm

I’ve exported markups from a drawing set and imported them into an updated set. However:

1) the locations of the markups are rotated 90 degrees from the original. Neither PDF set was rotated at any time and no views were rotated.

2) the imported text boxes are rotated 90 degrees but the text inside actually remains readable and unrotated

3) each file has the same number of pages, all pages are the same size.

4) markups on a single page will copy and paste with no rotation or orientation problems at all.

This seems like a bug to me and I’ve submitted it to Bluebeam. However, I’m curious if anyone here has run into this before and can confirm if it is a bug, and maybe suggest a workaround. Then again it might be user error on my part – let me know if that can be confirmed as well.

Thanks for any help. I can post a sample of the problem if that helps. I’m new here so go easy 😀

-Bob

Troy DeGroot replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    August 12, 2022 at 1:51 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

First off, welcome to the Bluebeam Brainery, we all appreciate what you have to contribute to making all of us better. If anyone is ever NOT easy on you, let me know, they are not a culture fit for the group.

It sounds to me like you tried everything to confirm the bug. Sometimes users will use the Rotate tool rather than the Rotate Pages tool. This can result in all the pages looking correct, but how the markups associated with the page are still rotated. Think of it as a coordinate system on paper. Like I said, it sounds like you checked everything, I just wanted to bring this up, just in case.

Thanks for contributing @britger !

• Bob Ritger

August 12, 2022 at 3:22 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt II UC2 Brainery White Belt II

Troy:

Thanks, this one certainly has me puzzled and I have tried most options that I can think of to determine what might be behind this. As an illustration of the rotation problem see the attached image. The actual locations of the text boxes on the sheet is also rotated as are all lines, arrows and other graphics.

• Doug McLean

August 12, 2022 at 6:00 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

well, its happened to someone else now.
    We had something similar happen recently to a Stamp. (only it also rotated the stamp)

Which version are you using?

• Bob Ritger

August 15, 2022 at 7:49 am

The issue occurred with Bluebeam eXtreme 20.2.70 initially but persists with 20.2.80.

• Bob Ritger

August 15, 2022 at 12:51 pm

I think I have gotten to the bottom of the problem and it appears to be a bug – just don’t know who is responsible for it.

I found that the original PDF file was created by printing out of Revit via the Acrobat PDF writer. The Bluebeam markups that were added to that PDF file were imported into an updated print set that was created by printing the set via the Bluebeam PDF writer. This combination appears to be the source of the problematic rotation issues I noted previously.

To prove it out I just did a new test by creating a new file via Acrobat, marking it up, and importing the markups into a file created by Bluebeam and the exact same rotational error occurred. I’m not sure how or if this bug can or will be corrected by Bluebeam as it may be an Adobe problem. Either way I have a workaround which is to dictate that all PDF files be created via the Bluebeam PDF writer out of our design applications.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      August 16, 2022 at 3:40 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

We’ll just blame Adobe!

Thanks for the follow-up @britger