Issue modifying an area measurement

• Issue modifying an area measurement

Posted by David Cutler on July 14, 2022 at 7:58 am

We have a recent HS grad helping with some takeoff this summer. I have him setup with my custom tools and his profile matches mine (thank you @troy-degroot for showing me how this can be done!).

With him being new to performing takeoffs I’m having to clean up some of his items (he is not in the office this week), which leads me to my issue. He created an area measurement for sidewalk that I need to change the limits of. Revu will allow me to select the markup, add points to the markup (on existing lines), change colors and move or delete the entire markup, however, it will not allow me to move or delete the individual control points. Further, using the same tool, if I create a new markup I can modify that new markup as needed. I can even modify other markups that he created using the same custom tool.

– I’ve tried closing and re-opening the file, didn’t help.

– I’ve tried coping the stubborn markup to another file, didn’t help.

– I saved the file with another name to save it for posterity, didn’t help.

What is even more strange is that I have another copy of the file and I can modify the markup in that file. I’m going to copy that markup and paste it into my working file so that I can keep moving, but I’d really like to figure out why this is happening.

Has anyone had this issue before or does anyone have any ideas on this?

David Cutler replied 1 year, 5 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    July 14, 2022 at 10:25 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

So when you hold your Shift key it doesn’t allow you to add or remove the grips from the perimeter? Seems odd, like a shutdown, restart, unplug, spin in your chair three times kind of IT issue. I’m not sure what would cause that.

• Matt Hackman

July 14, 2022 at 10:39 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt IIII

Have to shake out those computer gremels somehow!

• David Cutler

July 14, 2022 at 10:48 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I can add control points without issue, but I can’t move them or remove them.

I haven’t tried spinning around in my chair 3 times yet though…🤣

• Doug McLean

July 14, 2022 at 11:22 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

you forgot hold your eyebrows at different levels

• Doug McLean

July 14, 2022 at 11:23 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Mostly, I’ve had this happen to me while trying to edit a Space.

I’m wondering is it every control point, or just certain ones? He didn’t use dynamic fill to create the markup did he?

• Thomas Perry

July 14, 2022 at 4:03 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt Rank

I’ve been here before – not sure why – but I ended up recreating measurements quickly recreate the measurements I’d use dynamic fill, some tips/guide below.

Unless you’re in a rare instance where layers can be shut off to show only the outline you need to measure it’s best to copy the measurement to a new sheet, recreate quickly, and copy back.

1. Copy the area measurements to a new BLANK sheet (ideally the same size sheet with scale set to the same as original sheet). Use CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in exact location on sheet as original drawing;
    2. If necessary adjust appearance so there are no captions, hatches, fills, 100% opacity, and a continuous linetype;
    3. Flatten the measurements, you should now have a flat ‘vector’ linework of his original areas;
    4. Use dynamic fill to quickly re-create, select area measurement, and hit apply;
    5. CTRL+C to copy your new measurements and back on the original drawing: hit CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in the same location.

Hopefully the grips on the new measurement can now be manipulated to your needs.

• David Cutler

July 14, 2022 at 6:02 pm

Great solution @TPERRY21 ! Thank you for replying.

I don’t think that the young man knows how to use dynamic fill @Doug McLean so I don’t think that is the issue.

The mystery continues…

Dave

• David Cutler

July 15, 2022 at 7:48 am

I tried your process this morning @TPERRY21 and it worked pretty well.

I was pleasantly surprised that Revu would recognize the flattened markup as a “fillable” line. I think as a group we have discussed this in the past, without the flattening step, and found that a markup didn’t work as a boundary. Your process proves that wrong! Thank you again for sharing this.

One thing I did find interesting is that the dynamic fill “spilled” out of the flattened markup in multiple areas. I would have thought that Revu would create a “tight” markup.

I’m still not convinced that dynamic fill is my favorite tool. I find that it ends up with what I would describe as “random” extra points that I find myself going back to remove. Might be user error or sensitivity settings, but that is probably better left for another discussion.

Thank you again for your response post Terry!

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      July 15, 2022 at 2:10 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Great idea with the flattened markup @TPERRY21

You’re right that Dynamic Fill doesn’t recignise the linework of markups until they are flattened.

Thanks for adding to the group and taking the time with the steps!

• David Cutler

November 1, 2022 at 2:29 pm

An update!

We have been provided updated drawings for this project. In addition to overlaying pages to identify differences I copy the previous takeoff markups and apply them to the new drawings, modifying them as required to match the new curb lines, sidewalk limits, etc. I started having the same problem again with not being able to adjust points. What I did this time is choose “yes” when I was prompted to remove the “Untitled” viewports when I opened the new file. That seems to have cleared up most (but not all?) of the issues…