Slip Sheeting

• Slip Sheeting

Posted by Vince French on July 7, 2023 at 3:00 pm

So, I’ve given up trying to use sets and am looking to use slip sheet with a normal folder setup instead but, could do with some advice on how others use this feature.

My issue at the moment is, I can save an original (tender) set of drawings in a folder and slip sheet new versions as they come along – that works fine.

However, what I would also like to do is add any new drawings from the revision set to the original folder in order so this folder contains all of the drawings issued – I hope that makes sense.

I can see that you can extract the unmatched drawings and then save them to the original folder, but that process prefixes the drawing name with “Pages from ” which is something that I do not want.

How do you guys get this to work?

Vince French replied 9 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Bob Ritger

July 7, 2023 at 3:12 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt II UC2 Brainery White Belt II

Vince – I’m not sure if I completely understand your query but if the filename is the issue when you choose Extract Pages I typically select the option to “Use page label to name files”. Would this option help? -Bob

• Vince French

July 7, 2023 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Bob – I will give that a go.

• Vince French

July 7, 2023 at 3:41 pm

I have that all working now using the filename without the prefix. What is throwing me is the useless naming convention on the set of drawings that I have been trying this with – the revision details are in the middle of the file name e.g. “150 – Garages-D2-Single SGB.pdf”.

The “D2” is the revision number!

So, my issue now is that when I slip in the latest revision which is “D5” the drawing title remains as the original set which can be rather confusing if you are expecting to see “D5” somewhere.

The naming conventions here in the UK have a long long way to go before this becomes the simple process that it should be.

• Isaac Harned

July 11, 2023 at 11:01 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

I am curious if anyone here uses any file explorers besides the native windows. The one we use, Directory Opus has a rename feature that can process a whole folder, with find and replace, capitalize words, etc. This would probably solve your prefix issue pretty quick, but IDK if you need that in the file name.

Typically I would take that whole set of drawings and place it in a date sorted folder, i.e. 2023-07-11 – D2, leave everything with just sheet numbers. Then I make my overlays and bid marks in that folder. Then when I transfer to my “Takeoff Set”, it will leave the bid marks and update my consolidated. I think the only process that would be missing for you is the Original Issue Set. Is there a specific purpose for this set?

• Vince French

July 11, 2023 at 11:31 am

Hi Isaac. I use QT Tab Bar with explorer, but this doesn’t offer the same renaming feature that you’ve described.

My big issue with doing this is that the naming of files here is sometimes that bad that I fear I have to rename almost everything each time there is an issue of drawings. And unfortunately certain companies have a tendency to issue a full new set instead of just the revised drawings – this can be up to 800 drawings at a time.

I have sort of come up with a fix using Power Query to take all of the filenames from selected folders and then create a drawing register which is hyperlinked. This still isn’t perfect though.

• Isaac Harned

July 11, 2023 at 3:53 pm
            Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Not to plug a whole other product here, but you might want to look a little more at Directory Opus, there are some cool file structure export options and scripting features that might help. Very active forum with developer who actually answers, and a community that shares scripts more than we do here. I admit I am no expert yet, but looking at the options I think it would just the right setup, see my snapshots below.

Here is a link to their forum so you can see the work they are doing:

https://resource.dopus.com/

Also relatively cheap in comparison with some of the software out there.

Wish I had an answer that worked with the tools you have though, probably someone has figured this out, just gotta find them lol

• Vince French

July 12, 2023 at 1:38 am

Thanks Isaac – I will definitely take a look!

• rob gibson

July 26, 2023 at 11:03 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt I UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt I

Hi Vince,

if the file names are odd…..but consistent……..you could try using the Match By -page region

and then when doing this……..pick the file name first from the title block—then add the revision section ?

• Vince French

July 26, 2023 at 11:44 pm

I’ve looked Rob but unfortunately there are just too many adjustments to make – it some cases I will have to individually adjust literally every sheet. Our drawings here in the UK are just shockingly bad!

• Doug McLean

July 7, 2023 at 7:34 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Vince have you tried changing how the revised pages get stacked by the Set?

You’ll have to go into your preferences, but it should solve some of your issues.

• Vince French

July 8, 2023 at 1:46 am

Thanks Doug. I’ve had a go at changing a few of the settings but unfortunately, I am still left with the original filename which includes the outdated revision number.

I’ll have a play around with some more drawings which use a better naming convention to see if I get better results.