Looking for training/help to add a form field to a custom stamp

• Looking for training/help to add a form field to a custom stamp

Posted by Ed Berkel on April 25, 2023 at 3:02 pm

I have a cut & paste stamp that I need to be able to paste from the clipboard and would like to be able to do that into a form field. I know what javascript is, but no clue how to construct what I need. Hopefully someone here can point me to some training to get this done.

TIA

Ed Berkel replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Doug McLean

April 25, 2023 at 4:27 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

What you might need is a dynamic stamp.

Here are two people who could help you out

@lizlarsen @isaac-harned

• Liz Larsen

April 26, 2023 at 8:58 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

So you want to paste a stamp into a form field?

I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask why? What’s the purpose of having it in the form field?

I ask because it’ll help me understand your process and whether JavaScript is the right course of action.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    April 26, 2023 at 10:58 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

@eberkelmehlvillefire-com do you have an example of the stamp and form you could share? Even if it’s just a screenshot it would help us guide our collective thoughts.

• Liz Larsen

April 26, 2023 at 11:15 am

Agreed. Knowing where you’re starting from plus a very clear illustration of where you wish to end are key to giving you the best solution.

• Ed Berkel

April 28, 2023 at 12:11 pm

I have a stamp that is just a basic text box. From my permit software, I copy some text that needs to be inserted into the text box. It varies from permit to permit, so it needs to be something dynamic.

I hope that gives a better idea of what I’m trying to accomplish.

• Liz Larsen

April 28, 2023 at 6:01 pm

Maybe either a dynamic or an interactive stamp are what you want? I’m still not 100% sure of the workflow you wish to achieve.

There are several videos on YouTube about how to create dynamic stamps. I think this one will get you started:

Interactive stamps actually have a dialog box popup so the user can enter information. They’re a little more complicated to create. Below is a link to the Bluebeam website where you can see written instructions and download example files. The 2nd link is a YouTube video I did with ATG describing the ins and outs of creating these stamps.

I hope that helps!

• Isaac Harned

May 2, 2023 at 12:26 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Definitely some good videos from Liz, but definitely let us know the:

1. Reasoning for the workflow, is this a stamp that will lock down the document?

2. Please let us know if you are trying to place a stamp with a form field in it, or whether you are trying to place a stamp IN a form field. Sounds like the former based on the last response, but maybe some detail of what purpose the text has going into the stamp.

3. Just want to verify the terminology for clarity sake, text boxes are slightly different than form fields. I assume you are looking for the ability to single click into the field and start typing, so this would be a form field.

Here is a sample from the past conference of a custom interactive stamp with some text fields if you would like to use as a base.

• Ed Berkel

May 2, 2023 at 1:30 pm

When we issue a permit we use to put a physical label on the paper plans. Now that we are digitally stamping I need a way to take the information copied from the permit software and place it on a stamp. Currently I just paste the text and resize to fit the blank stamp. I would like to make it so that stamp has an interactive way to insert the text. I’m attaching a PDF with the blank sample as well as a sample off an approved plan.