Polylines contained within a space

• Polylines contained within a space

Posted by Don Walke on July 11, 2024 at 11:05 am

An annoying little glitch has popped up. I usually sort my take-offs by spaces, more specifically rooms. I use polyline tools to quantify wall finishes and lately when there is an inside corner, the polyline will not be included in the designated space even though visually it is totally confined within the space. If I break the polyline at the inside corner, it will now be included in the space. The screenshots below are the same markup, one as one polyline which is not included in the space and the other as “split” two polylines which is included in the space.

Don Walke replied 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Doug McLean

July 11, 2024 at 2:19 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII

this is where it gets tricky.

When you do a line like that, and L shape, it creates an outer box which is a bit bigger than the overall size of the markup. It’s that outer box that is causing the issue (or so I’ve found)

There’s no real easy way around this except to make your Spaces a bit larger or to move the markup within the Space after you’ve made the measurement

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    July 12, 2024 at 10:36 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I would assume that gets tricky when the spaces touch adjacent rooms.

• Don Walke

July 14, 2024 at 12:53 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt UC2 Brainery Purple Belt Rank

Well, I played around with the issue and it only happens with a two segment inside corner. I create my room spaces after using a double line style for the room perimeter and having the space follow the outside line. When I create a two segment inside corner I can shorten one segment enough that if it formed a triangle, the entirety of the triangle, the markup would then be included in the space. Shown below are the two examples.