Reply To: Excel and Quantity Link Script

  • David Cutler

    Member
    September 19, 2023 at 2:32 pm
    Points: 34,531
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt IIII

    Welcome to the Brainery @fc-estimation

    Sounds as if you have learned a good amount about Revu in your first 6 months! @vince and @doug mclean have built some amazing tools in Revu and workflows that use Power Query to process the information that they extract from their markups. That being said understand that they have been refining their tools and their workflows for years to get them to the level that they are at today.

    My tools are not as advanced as their tools are, and I’m just taking baby steps into using Power Query. My tools get what I need done though and that is the important part!

    We usually recommend people start with the end in mind – ask yourself “how am I going to use the data after I’m done capturing the information in Revu?” Some complete their entire estimates in Excel. Some transpose the information onto a piece of paper and re-key it into an estimating software (my boss for example). I export my markups as a .CSV, reduce the information in Excel (using a simple Power Query) and upload the “clean” data into our estimating software, B2W.

    The key point is to find what works for you, rough it out and then refine it over time. What works for you today (Quantity Link) may not be what you use in the future.

    From what I’ve found Quantity Link doesn’t provide the flexibility that I need with my data. I export my markups to a .CSV file an work with the data in Excel from there as others have suggested. If you haven’t already done so find a few video’s on how to use some of the simple data tools in Excel as a start and then learn about Power Query in time. Before you know it you will be teaching us what you have learned!

    Also make some time to watch some of the videos that our host, @troy_degroot has posted. That’s what really got me started!

    https://uchapter2.com/bluebeam-training-videos/