Ask the Expert Webinar

• Ask the Expert Webinar

Posted by Doug McLean on May 11, 2023 at 8:06 pm

Did anyone else catch today’s, (May 11, 2023) Ask the Expert Webinar from Bluebeam?

Maybe it was me, and where I am I’m my journey, but I found it very underwhelming. Maybe I was expecting something more advanced, but honestly, it was quite basic. Ok the Power BI visualization was cool, but the back end was barely touched on.

This is the part you need to learn. It does the heavy lifting to save yourself learning DAX. He talked about how you can combine data, but then didn’t show how you do that.

I want webinar that is going to challenge me. Give me some new insight into something, make me think, get the brain synapses firing.

I’d love to hear other’s opinions.

Doug McLean replied 11 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • David Cutler

May 11, 2023 at 8:44 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I tuned in also Doug. I didn’t pick up on anything mind blowing either, though I don’t know that we are part of their “target audience”.

From what I recall the majority of attendees that answered the warm up survey indicated that they used Revu to perform takeoffs, once you started getting into the “more advanced” features the percentages dropped off significantly. (I took a screen shot of the opening poll results that I will go back to verify this). For those folks what was presented probably blew them away – especially the Power BI. They did show something about outputting a markup list from multiple files at the same time that I need to investigate though…

Since I walk in the shadows of the super users here on the UChapter2 Brainery I’m starting to find it harder and harder to find “new” content to consume. Today was a prime example.🙂

• Doug McLean

May 11, 2023 at 9:20 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

I did like the idea of a Power BI dashboard on various projects’ deficiency lists…cool idea.

He showed the data Model, but didn’t explain what it was. He’s showing relationships but not explaining them and how they work.

You can’t just do things like that. It will only serve to frustrate people

• Vince French

May 11, 2023 at 11:51 pm

The way in which the webinar was described made me think it was going to be a lot more in depth than it was.

Like you, I thought things were touched on but never explained in any sort of detail whatsoever.

However, the Power BI section did make me question whether this was a resource that I needed to look at, so I guess that was good. This is also partly because I believe that BI can be faster than PQ which is something that I desperately need as my calculations seem to be overloading PQ.

In the end though, I’ve decided that for my workflows I need to stick to Excel with Power Query as Excel is where I need to place all of the results for further usage.

• Doug McLean

May 12, 2023 at 8:21 am

Power BI is really great for visualizations, so that’s what you should use it for.

I do find it easier than Power Pivot for final reporting too.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 12, 2023 at 10:21 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I wasn’t able to watch live, but I hope to catch the recording when they send it out. The fact that it was underwhelming is disappointing, but I agree with @David Cutler that we have some power users in this discussion. I will also say, that I’m excited to have @Doug McLean presenting next month which will not disappoint!

PQ and BI are both this I’m interested in, but need to find the bandwidth to explore more.

• Doug McLean

May 16, 2023 at 11:12 am

fortunately, Power Query is also within Power BI, so if you do get the chance to learn even the basics in PQ, you’re moving in the right direction.

BI is really for visualizing your data. Excel CAN do this, but BI takes it up another level.

The big trick to learning either Power BI or Power Pivot (in Excel) is understanding what’s called the data model and the relationships between tables.

I’ll talk about that a little in my presentation in June