“Dynamic Textbox Tool”

• “Dynamic Textbox Tool”

Posted by Don Walke on August 1, 2022 at 4:37 pm

I know this is a long shot, but will throw it out there anyway. I’m looking to create a tool for doing a take-off of interior doors that will allow me to create a text box markup with custom fields within the text box that are associated with the specific custom column values for that markup. Say a text box has a field for “subject” = Interior Door. Other fields would be “Door Number” , “Door Size”, “# Hinges”, ect. It would be similar to a custom stamp in theory, but with input values. Thanks in advance.

Troy DeGroot replied 1 year, 8 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • David Cutler

August 1, 2022 at 9:28 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

That’s a great question @dhwalkellc

I know that you could create custom columns for the items that you are looking to capture and then input them in either the markup list or on the properties tab. Once you have entered a result it would be available as an auto fill. I believe that you can also create drop downs, but I haven’t done that yet myself.

Your question brings to mind another question – is it possible to display the values from a custom markup on the pdf other than in a legend?

These might be good questions for @Vince or @Doug McLean to weigh in on…

• Doug McLean

August 1, 2022 at 10:33 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Yeah, you’re going to want to do this the way David said. You’re not going to want all that data in a stamp. You won’t be able to do anything with it.

Take the time and build the custom columns. You’ll thank us later

• Vince French

August 2, 2022 at 12:58 am

100% agree with David and Doug – enter the specific data to custom columns in the mark-up list.

I have a set-up for measuring drainage in which the drawing is marked-up with a manhole to which the reference number is added on a sequence – this is all the information that is displayed. The details for the manhole inc diameter, depth, etc are all then entered in the custom columns.

Once the mark-up list is exported you can do all sorts of things with this information.

• Don Walke

August 2, 2022 at 6:41 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

Thanks for the input. I already have the custom columns built and data entered, it’s just that entering the data is a bit tedious as information is located on a door schedule. More info is available while looking at a finish schedule (casing type and finish on either side of the door, handing of the door, ect. More info located in a finish hardware schedule. Just looking for an easier way to gather the info in one place for each door on the floor plan even if it’s scaled very small and need to zoom to read. Well, as they say, if it was easy, anybody could do it. Thanks again.

• Vince French

August 2, 2022 at 7:12 am

@Don what format are the additional details in? Can you just copy & paste the schedule onto your drawing? Or if it is in Excel, combine all the details there and then copy & paste onto your drawing.

• David Cutler

August 2, 2022 at 7:13 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Sounds as if you have a solid workflow in place @dhwalkellc

Hardware wise are you working with multiple monitors? If so, have you tried “undocking” the markup list? I’m setup with 3 monitors so I run my main drawing on the middle monitor, my markup list stretched to full screen on the right monitor and then I have the “properties” list setup as a partial screen on my left monitor. Often I will split my main view and then drag one of the panels off to my left monitor so that I have a detail available – pipe profiles typically in my case.

If your markup is based on the plan view you would need to keep that as the “active” window and then have your schedules on the left monitor. Your list of custom columns would show in the “properties” panel and you could enter the data there.

Hopefully this all makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions about how I run this setup.

• Doug McLean

August 2, 2022 at 11:13 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Having all the information is different spots is part of the fun though 😂
      There are ways to potentially merge all that data, but there are a whole lot of IFS that come along with that statement.
      Unless you really need to have all the info on the drawings or in the markups list, I wouldn’t put it there. It’ll just add a bunch of noise that isn’t necessary.

What I would try and do is merge all that data outside of Revu, and set up hyperlinks.

Saying that though, Doors are a royal PITA, and the way they get written into plans and specs is probably one of the worst things Architects do to us. Its not always possible to wash that data properly so that you can merge it together.

• Don Walke

August 2, 2022 at 7:59 am

Thanks for all the input. Here is what I will finally settle on. Working with two monitors (P17 TP w/ extended 27″ screen) keep the markup panel on the TP and floor plan on 27″. Drop a numbered markup at each door location while having the properties panel pulled out from the right side on the 27″ screen leaving plenty of floor plan showing. The properties panel becomes my dynamic text box kinda-sorta.

By the way, is there a way to make a “choice” custom column, with a number associated with the various choices, produce a total? It seems that when you create a choice column, the “include in totals” option is not available.

• Don Walke

August 2, 2022 at 8:03 am

Just thought of the answer. Hide the choice column and create a formula column that references the choice column.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        August 2, 2022 at 11:55 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

@dhwalkellc

Just a couple of ideas as I read through the post.

• Export the many different schedules to an excel file. I agree there would be some challenges merging them.
        • Make sure you select all the similar doors so you apply updates in the properties all at the same time.
        • Build default values into as many columns as you can within your custom tools.
        • Or update the first one placed, and use your ctrl key to copy to all the other similar locations.

Not sure if you saw my Door Hardware blog post, but just in case…..

https://uchapter2.com/bluebeam-revu-for-door-hardware-suppliers/

• Don Walke

August 17, 2022 at 9:30 am

I’ve actually narrowed it down to something very similar to what you have set up. What I have for the actual markup to represent and gather all of the info on each door is a circle with a shaded infill placed over the door mark. That way I can still read the mark (Door 012, 013, ect.) I place all the markups over the door marks, then scroll through the markup list with the door schedule and specifications panel opened on a third monitor and input info in custom columns on the specifications panel (Door #, Door Size, Door Type, Door Swing, Hardware and on and on). I thoroughly believe consistent workflow is the key to accurate take-offs.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      August 17, 2022 at 9:43 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I thought about using the highlighter for all my door tools so I could have the door tags automatically loaded into the comments column, but it wouldn’t work on raster drawings, it’s not in a properly labeled column, and I typically use the comments column for special conditions. For my tools, the customer wanted a colored square so it covered the opening and the swing. Great to have you confirm a similar workflow is working for you as well.