Forms – Merge Data

• Forms – Merge Data

Posted by mleinback on January 17, 2024 at 8:29 am

I have about 40 copies of the same form, created in BB Revu, to which data has been added. I want to merge the data into Excel. Thus far, I can get the “merge data” tool to work properly IF I limit the process to about 6 forms, but when I try to merge all 40 (or even 15), the process goes awry.

Specifically, once the process is complete, I can find the resulting Excel file in my Recent Files folder of Explorer, but when I try to open it, Windows tells me that the file cannot be found, has been moved, etc. The file is not in the location that I defined when I started the Merge process. It appears that once the file is created, either BB or Windows is deleting the file. Any thoughts?

Liz Larsen replied 3 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Isaac Harned

January 17, 2024 at 10:51 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

I have recently started playing with this feature. I have not tested on 40 files, but the test I ran on about 20 of them seemed to work alright. More on this to come.

• Doug McLean

January 17, 2024 at 12:36 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

I have not had this issue either.
    Normally it saves the report to the folder where the last files were uploaded from

• mleinback

January 17, 2024 at 12:52 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt II UC2 Brainery White Belt II

For what it’s worth, I have tried this process on both my work computer (attached to a Sharepoint network) and my home computer (which is totally standalone). Both machines yield identical results.

• Liz Larsen

January 18, 2024 at 9:13 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

I’ve done the opposite using VBA. If anyone remembers when @mitchyoungs showed up for a glorious 5 minutes and blew all our minds, I learned how he did that and recreated it for another use-case.

So if worse comes to worse and you don’t find another solution, I might be able reverse the process and take data from multiple forms and combine them into a spreadsheet. DM me on LinkedIn if you’d like to try that route.

Otherwise, maybe if I tag @mitchyoungs again he’ll come out of hiding to show us how he does the reverse, because I’m pretty sure he has a way to do it. (Or maybe he’s like Beetlejuice and you have to say his name 3 times, idk.)

• Isaac Harned

January 18, 2024 at 10:21 am

Indeed, I also have a macro that converts FDF files into workable excel. Mine only works on one sheet at a time though, I think his is more comprehensive.

• Doug McLean

January 18, 2024 at 11:15 am

I need to go see that. Do you know how often I want to take Excel Data and put it into a form?

• Liz Larsen

January 18, 2024 at 12:36 pm

@Doug McLean , I can help you with that.

I have time tomorrow afternoon (we have half day Fridays where I work). I’m free at 1pm Eastern. DM me on LinkedIn and we can set something up.

• Isaac Harned

January 31, 2024 at 11:39 pm

Did you guys ever get this working smoothly? I figured out a way and wrote a couple of modules to so the heavy lifting, but its still a little manual when I have over 1300 fields. The character limit for a cell in excel is getting in my way a bit lol.

• Liz Larsen

February 1, 2024 at 8:03 am

I gave him some stuff I made previously for someone else, both files and a video I made explain how it all works.

Do you want me to hook you up? 😉

And, as always, feel free to forward your VBA or JavaScript to me and I’ll take a look for any efficiencies that I can find.

• Doug McLean

February 1, 2024 at 11:09 am

We’re actually thinking up whole new workflows now that we have this information.
    We just have to sit down and actually implement them…🤣🤣

• Liz Larsen

February 1, 2024 at 12:01 pm

I love when that happens!