Personal Post

• Personal Post

Posted by Doug McLean on January 12, 2024 at 7:13 pm

I hope you guys can indulge me a little, this post has nothing to do with Revu, but everything to do with community.

Just before Christmas, my wife was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. Its been a bit of a crazy ride since then. I know a couple of people here had the opportunity to meet Tammy at XCON in 2022, so she’s a peripheral part of this community. She’s also a former Revu user herself 😀

Today we met with the Oncologist and she starts Chemo therapy on Tuesday. There’s a whole treatment plan in place and we’ll see how this goes over the next few months.

Luckily A, we’re in Canada and the treatment won’t cost us a thing, and B, we both have really good jobs with really good extended benefits so we’re going to be fine financially. Our kids are older as well so they’re able to help out.

Please keep her in your thoughts and any prayers you can offer can’t help.

Thanks everyone.

Vince French replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 11 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • David Cutler

January 12, 2024 at 7:32 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Prayers from Pennsylvania, USA to you and Tammy @Doug McLean 🙏

• Doug McLean

January 12, 2024 at 8:32 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Thanks.

The worst part has been just getting everything going. The Christmas season didn’t help because people were off for 4 days after Christmas.

• Vince French

January 13, 2024 at 3:31 am

Hi Doug,
    So sorry to hear your news – thoughts and best wishes are coming from over here in the UK!

• Chad Czerwinski

January 13, 2024 at 1:18 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II

As important as our work is, and the reason that it has brought this “community” together, it is definitely not the most important thing. I appreciate you sharing. I am sorry to hear about the cancer, I wouldn’t dare to say I understand what you or Tammy are going through. I can only seek to empathize with your struggle as related to suffering and grieve and pray for healing with and for you guys. Shari and I will be praying for you both in the coming months, may Christ be glorified even in the midst of suffering and pain, and that God might draw you closer to Himself.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    January 14, 2024 at 10:14 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

@Doug McLean First things first, Tammy is most definitely an extension of the community here. Whether she followed you in or came out of curiosity like everyone else, there are no techinicalities on how she became part of it. The laughter and stories shared with Tammy at XCON are some of my favorite of all the years I’ve gone, and I look forward to many more opportunities in the future. You are a cornerstone in this community and I know you if you pour half the effort into your family that you do in the Bluebeam community as a whole, you will be everything everyone needs. My heart hurts for the news, but I know that God is a good dad and will take care of His children. I pray for complete healing, on earth as it is in heaven.

I also want to thank you for posting this here in the Brainery. This is a conversation place for Bluebeam issues, wins, learning and sharing, but what is community without support and friendships that go beyond a stupid computer program. We love you Doug, please know we are all holding you up in tough times and cheering you on!

• Doug McLean

January 14, 2024 at 4:07 pm

Thanks again everyone.

As I said before, the worst part has been just getting started. Even though it’s only been 3 weeks, it feels longer (the week between Christmas and New Year’s sure didn’t help)

For her the worst has been this thing called ascieties, which is a fluid build up in her abdomen. Having this drained every few days is very taxing. When they do this, they take anywhere from 4-6 liters of fluid from her. If there’s a good thing with Chemo, is that it will clear this up fairly quickly. Trust me when I say that this part is no fun.

The next 9 weeks will be part one on this journey. 3 rounds of Chemo to (hopefully) shrink the tumors prior to surgery. Then of course, a fairly extensive abdominal surgery.

Right now, that’s our goal. Get through the Chemo and get to the surgery.

BC has some of the very best Cancer treatment centers anywhere, so our hope is good. I promise to keep everyone posted.

• Rick Grover

January 15, 2024 at 6:45 am

Prayers delivered from the U.S.A. for you and Tammy. RG

• Nic Bitting

January 15, 2024 at 6:58 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt IIII UC2 Brainery White Belt IIII

Will be thinking of you both Doug and Tammy and lifting you up over the coming weeks.

• Roye Arie

January 15, 2024 at 8:01 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Hey Doug, sorry to hear the news, but hoping for a successful treatment and better news in the future.

I’m glad to hear that things are going to be ok for you guys.

I know we haven’t met in person (maybe Bluebeam will revive XCON and I’ll be able to attend and we’ll finally meat), but we communicated a lot, sharing ideas and thoughts.

Wishing Tammy and swift recovery and in the meantime, if you need to chat/vent hit me up.

• Isaac Harned

January 15, 2024 at 9:37 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Thoughts and prayers man, that’s a rough one.

• Michael

January 15, 2024 at 10:35 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt UC2 Brainery White Belt Rank

This will be a trying time for all, sending thoughts and prayers to you. On a side note, you may want to test for BRCA1 or 2 just to find out. Speaking from experience.

• Doug McLean

January 15, 2024 at 1:34 pm

Oh they’ve already put her through all the tests.
      Plus she is going for genetic testing as well

• Michael

January 15, 2024 at 2:34 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt UC2 Brainery White Belt Rank

BRCA1 & BRCA2 are genetic mutation tests. I hope everything works out well! Best wishes!

• Doug McLean

February 8, 2024 at 1:32 pm

Update**

Well the first round of Chemo didn’t go so well. She had an allergic reaction to the solvent that the Chemo drug is is. Had to have an epi and an ED visit.
    They changed up her drug a week later and that went ok, with no adverse reaction.

Here’s the thing with Chemo, it basically destroys your immune system. Just prior to the second try at round 1, Tammy had a mild cold… well that turned out to be Covid. Plus she got Norwalk virus on top of that and it damn near did her in. She eventually checked herself into the hospital because of it. She really was in pretty bad shape. We almost lost her to be honest, with the flu and an extremely compromised immune system.

A week and a bit later, pumped full of all kinds of drugs, IV’s, and some amazing care by the Nursing staff at CGH, she’s finally home and doing much better.

Round two of Chemo goes next week, with a lesser dosage. Apparently, they start you off with the biggest dose you can handle, then dial it back if you have any kind of a reaction. Hopefully this goes better this time around. I really don’t need her in the hospital for another week.

Thanks for listening everyone.

• David Cutler

February 8, 2024 at 2:21 pm

Glad to hear that Tammy has made it over those initial hurdles @Doug McLean

Absolutely no fun for anyone involved. Continued prayers from south of the border. If you ever need someone to talk with please reach out. 🙂

• Doug McLean

February 8, 2024 at 3:36 pm

thanks

• Liz Larsen

February 8, 2024 at 2:38 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

All of that sounds extremely stressful. But I’m glad to hear she’s doing better. I hope things go more smoothly as they dial in her medications. You both are in my thoughts.

• Doug McLean

February 8, 2024 at 3:37 pm

Oh it was.

Moving over that time sure didn’t help either. I only JUST got my Hydro account dealt with…lol

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    February 8, 2024 at 4:04 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

You and Tammy are always in my prayers @Doug McLean I hope the stress of moving is behind you all so you can focus on fighting, strengthening, and healing. You have a large community of people (you have never met in person😜) pulling for you guys. We all care about you just the same. Keep strong and reach out if you need anything.

• Doug McLean

February 9, 2024 at 12:36 pm

the moving stress is over.
      Now its unpacking, placing furniture, figuring out what new stuff we need to make this place work, finding all those small items you threw in a bag…. 🤣🤣

• Vince French

February 10, 2024 at 1:32 am

When we last moved it was only supposed to be temporarily so we decided that we wouldn’t unbox everything. Nearly 14 years on, we are now unboxing everything and finding things we had totally forgotten that we had – things which we have replaced and now have two of!

• Doug McLean

February 10, 2024 at 8:03 am

that was us at our last place. It was temporary, but we were there almost 5 years.
          It never felt like it was anything more than temporary so we never set it up.

This place though, it feels more like home. Its a place I want to stay for a while. I’m already into the IKEA planning tools. Might even do a little Revu layout to see if we can figure out the furniture placement 🤔😂🤓

• Vince French

February 10, 2024 at 5:26 pm

Already started that here along with a few possible new layout overlays.

• Doug McLean

February 29, 2024 at 2:42 pm

We got some good news a couple days ago.

After another CT Scan it appears that things are shrinking. 🙌🙏

Chemo keeps wiping out her immune system though, which is SO MUCH FUN during cold and flu season…lol.

• David Cutler

February 29, 2024 at 3:42 pm

Glad to hear some good news @Doug McLean !

Continued prayers for a successful battle. 🙏

• Vince French

March 2, 2024 at 1:31 am

That’s great news Doug!