Sets and SharePoint

• Sets and SharePoint

Posted by Doug McLean on September 26, 2022 at 12:50 pm

So I discovered a couple of things about Sets and working on SharePoint over the weekend.

Firstly, if you generally work from File Explorer, two people can have the same file open. It doesn’t display the locked icon on the tab. It opens the file in a temp file on both computers. So what happens is the last version saved becomes the server copy, and if one is closed before the other, it creates a duplicate file with the computer’s name appended to the file name.

Secondly, if you open the Set from the DMS toolbar, if the length of your file path is more than 207 characters, the file will not open. Remember that the file path goes all the way back to the drive prompt.
    You can create a Set through the DMS toolbar, but it seems to take an excessively long time, however, if you do it this way, the filepath length seems to change.

If you are opening the files through the DMS toolbar, the file displays in the same way that it does in Studio, with the locked icon, which you can then check out (which prevents another user from opening it if they’re also using the DMS toolbar)

Bottom line, Sets and SharePoint have a complicated relationship. Its an area that Bluebeam could really improve on when working in any cloud situation. Just be careful if you have more than one person working in a Set in the cloud. Make sure that they are actually ‘checking out’ the file they are working on.

Cheers

Doug McLean replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jeremy Cook

May 15, 2023 at 8:21 pm

I appreciate your input regarding this matter. Have you observed any positive changes since then? Our company is contemplating this option, and we would value your perspective on its effectiveness.

• Doug McLean

May 16, 2023 at 8:05 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

not really

That being said, we just learned that one of the next things getting overhauled is the SharePoint connector to Revu. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Working on SharePoint is great but it does have a few challenges. You might have to do things a little differently than you’re use to doing them. Otherwise, its a much better option than a VPN for remote work

• Isaac Harned

May 16, 2023 at 9:58 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Thank you Doug, we are about to make the switch to Sharepoint, so this is extremely useful knowledge!

• Doug McLean

May 16, 2023 at 11:02 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

I personally love working off SharePoint. If you’re doing any kind of remote work its just so much faster than working over a VPN.
      If you have a team working on a set of plans, I would suggest teaching people to access them through the DMS toolbar instead of File Explorer. This way, the file will get ‘checked out’ just like you’re working in a Studio Project. If you allow people to use File Explorer, you’ll get a local copy and you can actually have two people working on the same document at the same time.

Even if you have to pop into the field, all you need is an internet connection and you have your drawings. No need to log into your server remotely.