SharePoint Hyperlinks with Dashboards

• SharePoint Hyperlinks with Dashboards

Posted by Doug McLean on March 16, 2023 at 10:10 am

I was doing some experimenting this morning, creating a dashboard for that monster of a project that we managed to win.
    I want to be able to open a specific file stored on SharePoint, but then have it open in its native program. i.e. open our estimating workbook in the desktop version of Excel, not the web version.
    Anyone know how I can do this?

Isaac Harned replied 12 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Vince French

March 16, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Hi @Doug McLean

I don’t use SharePoint so am having a bit of a guess here – are your default apps all set for the various Excel filetype extensions?

• Liz Larsen

March 16, 2023 at 2:46 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

This is from 2021, so I’m not sure if it’s accurate. But it looks like it’s available in the settings within Sharepoint.

https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-default-office-files-to-open-in-the-native-app-from-sharepoint-and-onedrive/

• Doug McLean

March 16, 2023 at 10:15 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

I did eventually find something and you can’t. If you open it via a hyperlink, it will always open in the browser

• Isaac Harned

April 26, 2023 at 5:02 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

So in looking for the answers to one question, I stumbled on a possible solution for this. setAction on a button can be modified by code to “openDoc” instead of “launchURL”. Is this something that would help?