Keyboard shortcuts not working

• Keyboard shortcuts not working

Posted by Liz Larsen on May 16, 2024 at 7:56 am

Anyone ever receive a PDF from an external source and you can’t use keyboard shortcuts to create markups? You can create markups, but you actually have to click the button for it. Ugh.

It seems like if it happens once, it will continue to happen for every PDF I receive from that source, generally it’s CA (construction administration phase) stuff. So maybe it’s something Procore or Newforma is doing? Or maybe someone created the PDF using a certain software that just messes up the PDF? I don’t know. It’s super irritating though.

EDIT: For example, I currently have this problem on some steel shop drawings that were clearly created by a software that specializes in steel detailing. This fits the general pattern of when this occurs.

Isaac Harned replied 2 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • David Cutler

May 16, 2024 at 8:02 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII

While I can’t say I’ve documented this @lizlarsen I’ve definitely noticed from time to time that features don’t seem to work the same every time… Guess I will have to pay closer attention!

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 16, 2024 at 8:42 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

I see it all the time and just figured it was a frequent bug. I’ve never considered who the pdf came from or how it was created.

• Isaac Harned

May 16, 2024 at 8:46 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II

That is so strange, and new to me. What about “My Toolchest” shortcuts?

• Liz Larsen

May 16, 2024 at 8:50 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

Nope. Keyboard shortcuts cannot create markups of any kind.

Non-markup related keyboard shortcuts work, though. For instance CTRL+P or CTRL+S. Those are fine.

• Isaac Harned

May 16, 2024 at 10:16 am

When you do document properties, what is the printer that published, just out of curiosity?

I wonder if you threw them in the stapler up front and created a Revu PDF if that would help.

• Liz Larsen

May 16, 2024 at 1:43 pm
          Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

RealObjects PDFreactor?

When I used the stapler, it made the larger set of shop drawings crash (cool), however the reasonably sized PDF converted properly and I was able to use keyboard shortcuts!

How the heck did your brain come up with that?? I stand before you in awe and with gratitude.

@troy-degroot Next time this happens to you, check the document properties and see what the printer was. See if using the stapler helps.

**Note** using the stapler will flatten your markups, so just be aware.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
            May 16, 2024 at 1:57 pm
            Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

And THAT is why community is important. Thanks guys!

So is the Stapler the same as “Create PDF From” and pointing to the original document?

I hardly ever use the stapler

• Isaac Harned

May 16, 2024 at 2:04 pm

LOL that was a Sam Park (Wayyy back in Revu Support history) suggestion for some problems I was having when I first started using Revu. Always my go to now for weird docs.

• Isaac Harned

May 16, 2024 at 2:03 pm

The stapler is the only thing that allows you to specifically select the printer used, just be careful with layers, had an issue lately where deactivated form field layers show when using stapler.